TEDxWilliamsport was held Wednesday, October 26, 2011 at the Community Theatre League in downtown Williamsport, PA. The theme for this inaugural event was Rethinking Community. Nine “live” speakers and a dozen TEDTalks videos riveted attendees’ attention with engaging, thought-provoking ideas worth spreading.
TEDxWilliamsport featured “live” speakers with a variety of experience and perspective and selected TEDTalks videos that addressed the conference theme, Rethinking Community. The playlist of TEDxWilliamsport Talks is available here.
Confirmed speakers include: (brief biographies of Speakers)
- Dr. Derek Cabrera on How Thinking Works (http:cabreraresearch.com)
- Mr. Jim Gates on Why School is More Important Than Ever (http://www.gatesideas.com/)
- Mr. Mark Burke on Hybrid Classrooms… Entrepreneurial, Creative Thinking Regenerates Learning (www.viaacademies.com)
- Mrs. Barbara Gerlach on If you don’t love it, why are you doing it? (www.berryfieldsfarm.net)
- Mr. Karl Fisher on The Core of Community (http://alabastercoffee.com/)
- Mr. Chris Downs on The “Little” Idea That Has Made A “World” of Difference (www.littleleague.org)
- Ms. Tracy Brundage on Marcellus Shale Workforce Needs: A Statewide Overview (http://www.pct.edu/visit/campus/bwd.htm)
- Dr. Eddie Severn on What the Arts Can Teach Us (www.music.eddiesevern.com)
- Mr. Justin Kline. Keystone Little League All-Stars on Keystone Little League’s impact on the local community
Every TEDx event has a theme and for our inaugural event we’ve chosen the theme ofRethinking Community – a theme that connotes freshness, adaptation, fellowship and vision. Our community is in flux and indications are that this will be the case for some time to come. So, as we rethink community, some of the questions we ask are:
- What does it mean to be a community?
- How will we adapt to the dynamic conditions of our time?
- How will we support each other through the inevitable growth ahead?
- When we all contribute our very best, what’s possible?
Let the Rethinking begin!
TEDxWilliamsport Plan of the Day
TEDxWilliamsport will consist of four Segments, each featuring a mix of “live” speakersand TEDTalks videos. Breaks between Segments, and the lunch break are intended to provide time for audience members to interact with the featured speakers.
Talks presented at TEDxWilliamsport
Mark Burke: Hybrid Classrooms
Barbara Gerlach: If you don’t love it, why do you do it?
Derek Cabrera: How Thinking Works
Eddie Severn: What the Arts Can Teach Us
Jim Gates: Why School Is More Important Than Ever
Chris Downs: The “Little” Idea That’s Made A “World” Of Difference
Justin Kline: Keystone Little League Allstars
Tracy Brundage: Marcellus Shale Workforce Development
Karl Fisher: The Core of Community